All announcements are subject to Corona conditions and short-term
Update, September 2020:
- The Clubroom will be restricted in numbers; distancing is required.
- The theatre we had booked has been postponed to next year.
- We therefore recommend that you book during the week before each Clubroom
event (by phone or email to Susan)
or be prepared to be turned away (sadly) if you come without reserving
and we are already fully booked.
Please cancel if you have reserved and find later that you cannot come.
- We must provide to the VHS an exact room plan of each meeting with names,
addresses, phone numbers and seating positions of all visitors. (Do not move the chairs.)
- Therefore please arrive by 17:25 at the latest, as we must record
any missing details and the seating positions.
- We will disinfect the chairs and tables before the events.
- Please wear a face mask whenever you are not seated,
keep your distance (1.5m / 5') and follow the general
VHS Corona rules displayed in the building.
- Please keep your coat or jacket with you at your seat.
The wardrobe must not be used.
- Bring your own drinking water if you need it.
Please stay tuned and check here for new information.
These are our next events:
Spinalonga, off the north-eastern coast of Crete, had been Europe's last remaining leper colony when it officially closed in 1957. A moving reminder of the presence of this disease in 20th-century life, it has been brought to the attention of millions through Victoria Hislop's 2005 novel ‘The Island’, adapted for Greek television as ‘To Nisi’. Dr Michael Heinze's talk will focus on the history of the island and Hislop's fictional world of Spinalonga.
John Ramirez de Arellano tells us about Prohibition in the United States, its causes, effects, origins, and the lessons we can learn from it for drug policy in the future.
All are welcome at the brief AGM (voting by members only), then, possibly, but subject to short-term permission from the VHS – and at the moment not allowed! –:
Music up to the pop era by a small a-capella singing group;
alternatively, some Christmas readings and/or dialogs.
Kasernenstraße 6, 40213 Düsseldorf